At the beginning of this week it was in the high 70's and I was seriously over dressed in a sweater dress (I really don't know what I was thinking on that one). Yesterday and today are now at least 20 degrees colder, and I am struggling to stay warm just thinking about going outside.
As the winter weather settles in to stay, we need to beat the temptation to just turn on the heat and keep wearing our shorts and flip flops. Instead of pretending it's spring or summer year round, bundle up and enjoy the weather. Warming yourself up without turning on the heater will save energy and money.
1. Dress in layers. This way you can take things off or put things on depending on the inside/outside temperature.
2. Don't touch that dial! Resist the temptation to notch up the thermostat. See if you can leave it at 67 or 68. If you are really brave, see if you can live without it for most of the day (obviously if you live where it snows this isn't brilliant).
3. Put on another sweater and a blanket when you are at home.
4. Eat and drink warm things. Soup and tea keep me toasty.
5. Invite friends over. People can warm up a room in no time.